Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Arrival Of A New Grandbaby and The ONE Time I Didn't Have My Cell Phone!

This past Friday, March 4, started out normal. The day was sunny and pleasant and I felt better than I had in a long time. In the morning, I had an appointment and the rest of the day was slated for regular household tasks.

After lunch, I decided to treat Lucious to a trip to the dog park. It had been a while since we were there and the both of us needed to get out and enjoy the weather. When we got to the park, I realized I forgot my cell phone. I make it a practice to NEVER forget my cell phone but that day, I did. When I got home about an hour later, there were four missed calls and two voice-mail messages. Since I rarely get a large influx of calls, I immediately became alarmed.

The first voice-mail message was from my expectant daughter-in-law. She sweetly informed me that she was planning to have the baby - TODAY. I returned her call before I did anything else except rush out the door to the car, praying that there would be no traffic and understanding, helpful policemen should I get stopped for speeding!

The whole time I was driving, I kept chiding myself for going to the dog park and forgetting my cell phone. I was also worrying about getting to my son's home safely and in a timely matter. New Jersey's Interstate 295, in the area where I live, can be pretty troublesome most of the time. I kept worrying about one thing right after another. I was even making up things to worry about! Then, I remembered something. Just the previous day, a Godly young woman who I've know since she was a child, posted this as her status on Facebook: "replace your worry with worship". And that small but powerful thought instantly came to mind.

Immediately, I stopped (my brain, not my car) and began to focus on the Lord Jesus. Instead of continuing to worry about all the things that could go wrong and chastising myself for my faults, I prayed. Wouldn't you think I would have known this by now? I'm thinking the Lord knows our propensity to forget sometimes. Then, He uses someone - in advance of the problem! - to say just the right words that calmed my heart and mind. Thank you, Lord!

Anyway, an even greater miracle occurred just before 10pm that *normal* Friday - our precious grandson was born. He's beautiful and healthy! Mom and baby are doing well. What more could I ask?

Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD;
for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 106:1

No comments: