Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Art History 101

I've always enjoyed art - of any kind - but whenever I visited a museum, I always wondered about its history and wish I knew more about the particular piece of artwork and the artist. Now, if you're like me, you promise yourself that you'll Google the artist/artwork as soon as you get home and when you get home, the promised research seldom happens.

Yesterday, I met a good friend for lunch and a visit to the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia. We decided to take the guided tour and it proved to be an excellent decision. Not only was the tour guide expert in her knowledge and delivery, it provided us with some very interesting facts about Messrs. Auguste Rodin and the amazing pieces he sculpted.

One thing I learned is that art is not only the expression of the artist, it can also be a lesson in the politics and social views of the time. I found it fascinating.

If you live in the area or will be visiting in the future, include a visit to Philadelphia's Museum district in your plans. You won't be disappointed!

No comments: