Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Little Dog That Could or Lucious The Vicious Guard Dog

This is our dog, Lucious. He's 20 lbs. of lovable energy and I count him as one of my best friends. He adores our grandchildren although that love is not always returned by some of them because of his overly rambunctious nature. Still, he would never hurt one of them.

Our little 2 y.o. Maeve is one of our grandchildren who happens to be terrified of Lucious and this morning was no different. She was spending a couple hours with me this morning and we decided to take a walk around the block with Lucious in tow. As we passed a crew of landscapers at work, one of the men stopped what he was doing and approached the stroller to greet Maeve. Lucious suddenly began growling uncharacteristically at the man and positioned himself between the man and the stroller.

Frankly, Lucious barks at everyone and everything and I can tell the difference between this bark or that. This one was different. He was clearly upset and seemed as though he was ready for a fight. I cannot ever recall seeing him like this in the past.

Maybe the whole incident was nothing more than what it was - a man being friendly. After all, Lucious is a hyperactive dog. But I'm proud of my Lucious, nonetheless! This isn't the first time he's proven his loyalty to me but it may be the most profound.

No comments: