Monday, March 29, 2010

People Change. Ice Cream Flavors Change. (a.k.a. Communication in a marriage is the key to marital harmony!)

Time:  Sometime last week.
Location:  Our sunroom

JerseyGranny:  (pleased with what she was about to say)That ice cream was still on sale at the grocery store so I picked up a couple more containers.  Know what, honey?  I got you your favorite flavor.  I really appreciated that you got me a container of my favortie flavor, so this time, I thought you should have your favorite flavor.

My Hero:  (a bit challenging) What flavor did you get?

JerseyGranny:  (a little put out) What do you mean what flavor?  I got your favorite - butter pecan!

My Hero:  (smugly) That's not my favorite.

JerseyGranny:  (perplexed and a little more put out) Since when?!  Butter pecan was always your favorite ice cream flavor!

My Hero:  (more smug and challenging)  Not anymore.

JerseyGranny:  (agitated and sarcastic)  Would you like to enlighten me, your wife, as to your favorite flavor then?

My Hero:  (calm and thoughtful)  Well, it's a couple different flavors:  chocolate chip, cookies and cream.

JerseyGranny:  (really annoyed)  Thanks for letting me know!  Here I am buying butter pecan, which I despise, just for you and you go and change your favorite flavor; then, don't even tell me!  We've been married for twenty-eight years and you never tell me that your ice cream flavor changed!

My Hero:  (a little scared)  It's OK!  I'll still eat it and I still like it!

Synopsis:
This is a funny, innocent example of how people can change during the course of a marriage.  Many times it's more serious and life-altering than this.  It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day activities of life and forget that wonderful person we married, isn't it? 

No comments: