Saturday, March 20, 2010

Now I Know What I Want To Be When I Grow Up - Part III

Meeting Someone Who Would Change My Life Forever.

There I was.  A very young single mom living alone in a state different than the one in which I grew up.  I decided the best place for me to be was church so one Sunday, I found myself at Berean Baptist Church in Magnolia, New Jersey, with my five-year old son in tow.

As I made my way toward the front of the church, I noticed someone sitting in the second pew on the right hand side - a handsome man somewhat older than me - and I immediately thought to myself, "I'm going to marry that man someday."  At that moment, I wanted to run right out of the church and never show my face again since I was sure everyone had heard what I was thinking!  What had come over me?  Why had such a thought entered my mind?  I had never seen this man before in my life and here I was entertaining thoughts of marriage!  Forturnately, I was able to compose myself, be seated and listen to the day's message.  That was in 1979 although I cannot remember the day or even the month.

So much happened over the next three years that is better left for another post...another time.  Paul, the man I knew I would someday marry, and I were wed in February 1982.  I was still working full-time, of course, but I clearly remember the sweetest, most liberating words he ever said to me right before our wedding day:  "You don't have to continue working, if you don't want to."  I didn't have to think twice about my decision!

Next:  A *Career* Blossoms

No comments: