Monday, March 8, 2010

Now I Know What I Want To Be When I Grow Up - Part II

A Change In The Air.

By the time I entered my junior year of high school, I was able to successfully manage a household and care for babies and small children.  And although I enjoyed it, I never looked at it as a lifelong calling.  It was just something I did because I enjoyed it, like a hobby.  However, a passion for science and history had awakened a desire in me to pursue the possibility of becoming an archeologist.  That is what I wanted to be when I grew up!

When I shared this news at home, the response was less than enthusiastic.  The word 'crazy' may have been used.  I was informed, in no uncertain terms, that girls were not archeologists.  Girls were nurses, teachers or secretaries and if I wanted to choose one of those fields of study, I would recieve the support I needed.  Period.  End of conversation.  Understand that it was the early 1970's and the times were turbulent and on the cusp of change in many ways for the world and for me personally, so I chose the path of least resistance and became a secretary, a darn good one, too!

If you read my previous post, you know a nursing career wasn't going to work and as I thought about a teaching career, I could not imagine myself closed up in a room all day with children.  No, if I were to be a teacher, it would have to be on my terms.  Think:  Maria in the movie, "The Sound of Music".  We'd have to be outdoors exploring the world as we learned.  Very unorthodox, I know.  It would never work in the real world - in the United States - in New Jersey!  So, I went to work as a secretary for the Penn Central Railroad (now Conrail) and took care to do my very best.

Next:  Meeting Someone Who Would Change My Life Forever!

No comments: