Wednesday, February 17, 2010

There's Something About Jill

Paul and I antiqued this past weekend with friends and, as usual, we brought along Jill (her name as indicated in the GPS instruction manual). In the past, we thought Jill a little sarcastic with her comments but we thought: "No, it couldn't be. It's just a machine." Well, I'm here to say that this weekend it was almost as if she were human - exhibiting human emotions and characteristics, if you will. Read on!

On Sunday, we went off course to stop at a drive-thru for something to drink and forgot to let Jill know that we had detoured. I'm afraid that this action sent her into a tailspin and we had to turn her off for a while so she could recoup. No harm done, right?

On Monday morning we headed for home rather early in order to stop at one or two more antique shops along the way. I programmed our first destination into the GPS knowing that in just a few moments we would be on I-270. So when Jill started taking us through what seemed like every backroad in the State of Maryland, I knew she was executing her revenge. We were at her mercy. I must say, though, the scenery was quite lovely and we all enjoyed the ride, albiet a little nervously.

In the end, the GPS totally bypassed I-270 (the first leg of the trip) and dumped us directly onto I-70 (the second leg of the trip). Honestly, it does make one wonder about these GPS machines, though...

No comments: