Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Taking Stock In Shovels

Do you remember a few posts ago (during the last snowstorm) when I purchased a shovel for our son, Steven? This past Sunday our son, Ryan, and family (Micayla and baby Ryleigh) were visiting as they usually do on Sunday afternoons and guess what? Ryan asked if he could borrow our snow shovel. It did not occur to me that he needed one since they live in an apartment complex. Ryan informed me that the plows tend to bury their cars while clearing the lots. So, what's a Mama to do? I asked Hero to give him our shovel and told him to keep it. Not the ergonomic shovel, mind you. Ryan is considerably younger than Steven - not even 30 yet!

So, now, here we were, getting ready to face another major snowstorm with one shovel. Still determined to save Hero's life, I braved the traffic yesterday afternoon and drove the two miles to our local hardware store (Voorhees Tru Value Hardware Store, Voorhees, NJ) to buy yet another shovel. The clerk was helpful and knowledgeable and I learned a lot about the different types of snow shovels and what they do. That's the difference between going to a hardware super store and a local hardware store.

By the way, this hardware store must be the best kept secret in town. As of 5:00 p.m. yesterday, they had gobs of snow shovels and salt!

You might be wondering about my Cape May son, Frank. I did call him and ask how he and family were doing and also how he was handling clearing his property, hoping that he was going to tell me that he hitched up one of the horses to a plow. But he does have shovels. Phew!

So, when others run to grocery stores stocking up on bread and milk, Jersey Granny runs to the Voorhees Tru Value and stocks up on snow shovels!

No comments: