Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Captive Audience

Today I had out-patient surgery that required anesthesia and the docs and nurses were having a dickens of a time finding a suitable vein to use with the IV. "Suitable vein finding" is an all too common problem with me and I have been known to pass out when a clinician keeps poking and prodding. I almost came to that point today and probably would have had I not already been laying down.

Beside fainting, my other survival tactic is talking - done so in order to distract myself from the aforementioned poking and prodding. So while I was being repeatedly poked and prodded on two hands and two inner-arms by two anesthesiologists and two nurses, and watched by a few others who were hovering about, I regaled everyone with endless stories about my four sons, three daughters-in-love, eight grandchildren, and one on-the-way-grandchild.

Ah! A Granny's dream - to have a captive audience when bragging about her children and grandchildren!

No comments: